Thursday, February 24, 2011

Listening to Music Theory-Oh

This seems completely random theory-oh but how many people out there do you know listen to music of some kind while dueling? Do you notice that they normally seem a little more composed even when momentum shifts against them? Do you notice that they play a little better? Well here's my theory as to why that happens.


During a duel there are countless mental distractions like thinking about your opponents completely obvious face-up cards... I for one see a face-up Stardust Dragon and a backrow and spend a while figuring out how to beat Stardust when in reality I don't need to beat the Stardust Dragon I just need to get rid of the backrow. When listening to music I feel that sense of epicness (not a word) and just make the equally obvious Treeborn sac Raiza play... Without music I would come to the same conclusion just after a bit more thinking.

When in an epic situation like being faced-down by a Dark Magician, Dark Magician Girl, and Tytannial (Don't ask how I pulled that off) I was able to listen to equally epic music (namely Shuffle (2nd Duel Monsters opening song)) and pull out a near comeback with Karakuri's and Chimeratech Overdragon (Until I just Quickdraw Debris'ed me for Iron Chain and Junk Destroyer....).

Well anyway listening to music seems to make you feel better about your moves and give you a great deal more confidence. When I'm listening to music I feel like my opponents aren't trash or anything but just won't beat me no matter how good they are (Though I probably still lose lol) and that confidence makes your plays more confident and normally your first idea for a play is often the intuitively correct one while your second idea is safer but often times leaves you in a worse situation. If listening to music makes you choose the first idea over the second and you pull out a win then that one win will boost your confidence even more and being confident in your plays thanks to the epicness of music and the morale boost from a win can put you above your opponent in strength just because you have more faith in your moves (cards) and can destroy an opponent with shocking moves(cards) that they wouldn't expect... (Ultimate Baseball Kid top-deck in Fire Warriors Versus Lava Golem Gravity Bind Burn ) for the turn around win.

Well along with all that I know many duelist probably listen to music and don't notice that it changes them a little (Especially when randomly the perfect song for the situation comes on (Believe in Nexus leading to a miracle One for One top-deck to Shooting Star Dragon lol)

Don't worry this isn't the only post for today expect another one in a few minutes.

2 comments:

  1. interesting post.
    i am going to put your theory on work during this month. the music that i listen is not very "common".
    what kind of music did you listen to?
    the one you like? or YGO music?
    i will listen a kind of music that i like too much; grindcore. at the end of the month, i will post the results of the study in my blog: http://heavysthoughts.blogspot.com/
    i will listen to music when i buildt a deck and playing at locals.

    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. as you can see I added you to my links section. I was listening to my specially created Dueling music library lol. With all manner of epic songs like "Shuffle" by Okui Masami or just Guile's Theme from SSF2HDR and all the songs from Music to Duel By lol.

    ReplyDelete